I know so many people that wait to pack until the very last minute. Personally, I have no idea how people do that! When I sat down and thought about it, I tend to pack for a trip about a week in advance. If I am going to be gone for more than a week, I will start packing about 10 days before I leave. I know that a lot of people do their best packing when they are doing it last minute but here are a few reasons why you shouldn’t:
1) Packing in advance allows you to change your mind about what you are taking. I ALWAYS change my mind about what I am packing. I switch out a top, add a pair of shoes or take out a dress. Giving yourself enough time to change your mind about what you are packing allows you to be happier with what you take with you.
2) You will have a lot more options. I tend to sit in front of my closet and go through my clothes before I decide what I am taking with me. When you pack in advance, you will take all of your options into account.
3) You can check the weather report and pack accordingly. I put the city I am traveling to on the weather app on my phone as soon as I book my travel. That way I can see what the weather will be like and pack the right clothes. This is crucial to packing light.
4) You can do any laundry that needs to be done. I usually want to throw something into my bag that is in the laundry. Packing ahead of time allows you to make sure all of your clothes are clean before you put them in your bag.
5) You will know if you need to buy anything! Sometimes, I find that I just have to have a new necklace or a dress for my trip. Packing ahead of time helps you figure out if you really NEED to purchase that statement necklace you thought you couldn’t live without!
In order to avoid procrastinating packing, I use my packing list. You can find what is on my list and my free download here.