It’s February, I can’t believe how fast 2016 is flying by already! You probably recognize this desk from my project back in November. After I made our kitchen table out of the top of the desk, I wanted to do something useful with the rest of it.
I decided that I could make awesome end tables, but it was going to be hard. Here is how I did it:
- Oscillating Saw
- Varnish Remover
- Wood for tops
- Marble Adhesive
- Wood Glue
- Drawer pulls- I found mine at Home Goods!
- I first used the drilled the remove all of the hardware. There were lots of tiny screws all over the inside of the desk.
- Taking the rest if the desk apart was out of the question, so after consulting a friend, I decided on using an oscillating saw to cut the desk into two pieces. I cut along where the sets of drawers met the back panel of wood. It took some time to get the hang of the saw but when I finally got it, it was really easy! My entire arm hurt after I was done though…
- Once the desk was cut in half, I used the varnish remover to get them ready to paint.
- I then primed all of the pieces. This took a lot of time because it was cold outside, so I had to do it in our bathroom, which I lined with dollar store shower liners as drop clothes. Becuase I primed the inside and outside of each piece, I had to wait for everything to dry before moving on to the next part to prime.
- I then painted everything. I went with a light gray as my color. It is neutral and went really well with the marble I chose for the tops.
- The tops of the these tables were very frustrating at first. I wanted to use granite or laminate but I discover that was either too expensive or too hard. So I decided on using wood, which I had Home Depot cut to the right size, covered using a marble vinyl adhesive. The adhesive I ordered from Amazon was really easy to use and work with. I love how they turned out!
- I topped it all off with these gorgouse drawer pulls I found from Home Goods.
I love that these two tables coordinate but aren’t identical. I really like that I can put a basket in the bigger one, which makes it so unique!
What do you think about how these turned out?